Finding the best drugstore moisturizers for oily dry and combination skin can help you get the skin you desire on a budget. Finding good drugstore moisturizers can be a little bit of a struggle because there are just so many out there. The majority of them are formulated with a lot of ingredients that can be harmful whether it be stripping alcohol, a lot of fragrance, or a lot of essential oils.
Best drugstore moisturizers for oily dry and combination skin
Drugstore skincare products are sometimes a great option if you don’t have access to some of the other brands. They are also great options if you’re working with a limited budget and don’t want to neglect your skin. The moisturizers in this list were selected based on the ingredients lists as well as the user experience. Please note that my user experience can be very different from yours because we have different skin types.
Best Drugstore Moisturizers for Dry Skin
If you have severely dry skin you want a moisturizer that will properly hydrate your skin. You want a moisturizer that forms a thicker layer of moisture over your skin.
1. CeraVe Moisturizing Cream
This common drugstore moisturizer is available from as little as $6. The CeraVe Moisturizing Cream formula is superior to every drugstore moisturizer for dry skin that I’ve been able to find.
- Glycerin is the second ingredient which is a humectant. It pulls in moisture from the environment deep into your skin to help make sure that it stays hydrated.
- Caprylic triglyceride as the third ingredient which locks in that hydration.
- Ceramides which help the skin retain moisture.
- Sodium hyaluronate is the concentrated form of hyaluronic acid. Also, it pulls in moisture from the environment similar to glycerin.
The CeraVe Moisturizing Cream is also fragrance-free. I also love this product because it’s one of the cheapest moisturizing creams. You can get a big container that’ll last you a good six months if not longer.
CeraVe has superior formulas that have non-sensitizing but powerful ingredients that are going to make sure you’re moisturized, hydrated, and taken care of. It’s not the most flashy brand out there but it delivers the best ingredients and the best formulas without risking long-term damage
2. E.l.f Happy Hydration Cream
Many people don’t like Elf skincare products because of several reasons. However, since we are looking at drugstore moisturizers I had to check and I did find one that was good. The Elf Happy Hydration Cream ingredient list is great.
- Cannabis Sativa Seed Oil is the second ingredient in this product. Hemp seed oil is exceptionally good for hydration. It’s been a really popular ingredient recently but a lot of times brands will formulate with a tiny concentration of hemp seed oil and then use it as marketing tactic because its trendy. But, the fact that it’s the second ingredient in this shows that this is a pretty high-quality product.
- Glycerin is the fourth ingredient, perfect for hydration.
- Niacinamide is the sixth ingredient which is a great ingredient that works to reduce sensitivity and irritation. It also regulates sebum production that makes sure you’re not too oily or too dry and it brightens any dark spots or pigmentation that you have across your face.
- Peptides that help soothe the skin.
The Elf Happy Hydration Cream is also fragrance-free. After using it I have to say it’s a nice moisturizer. It’s optimal for people who want a lot of hydration but who don’t want a thick layer of moisture on their skin.
For a dry skin formula, it’s relatively lightweight. I also noticed that it soothes the skin and overall leaves a nice feel.
Best Drugstore Moisturizers for Combination Skin
3. CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion
The CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion is a good basic moisturizer for combination skin that’s going to give you the results you desire. It’s available at a drugstore price of about $11. It’s similar to the CeraVe Moisturizing Cream but the only difference is that it’s not formulated with petrolatum. Petrolatum is a thicker, occlusive emollient ingredient that forms a thick layer of moisture across your face.
People with combination skin don’t need the thick layer. All the other ingredients in the moisturizing cream are really good. The moisturizing lotion is a great choice if you’re just looking for a good simple moisturizer with good ingredients, fragrance-free that’s going to deliver hydration, and other benefits.
4. Skin Rescue Moisturizer (SheaMoisture)
If you have a combination to dry skin the SheaMoisture Skin Rescue Moisturizer is a great option. SheaMoisture products are not always the best because the majority of their products are formulated with a lot of essential oils. However, this one is free of essential oils.
- Glycerin shea butter which moisturizes and softens your skin.
- Hemp seed oil good for hydration
- Witch hazel in low concentration. Some people have issues with witch hazel, I have issues with it when it’s in high concentrations. Witch hazel is an astringent and can act similarly to drying alcohol. But in low concentrations, I think it can have soothing benefits.
The main claim on the Skin Rescue Moisturizer is that it soothes irritated skin. All the ingredients are good ingredients that you would want in your skincare products.
The moisturizer is lightweight but still delivers a lot of moisture which is where I feel it’s better for combination to more dry skin. On a side note, it also comes in glass packaging which is environmentally sustainable and can be reused.
5. Hungarian Water Essence Cream (Olay)
If you have a combination to oily skin and want a moisturizer that’s not too heavy on the skin the Olay Hungarian Water Essence Cream is a great option. Olay products are not usually the best because they contain fragrances but, this one doesn’t. Read more on the brand Olay.
- Glycerin is great for hydration.
- Panthenol a form of vitamin B that is used for its ability to attract and hold moisture as a humectant.
- Niacinamide is the fourth ingredient that is going to help control oiliness.
- Green tea extract is used to calm irritations, and diminish signs of aging.
- Sodium hyaluronate for hydration
- Cucumber extracts which are great for soothing any sensitivity or redness.
The only thing to note about this product is that it is kind of pricey and on the higher end of drugstore products at $19.
Best Drugstore Moisturizers for Oily Skin
6. Dew Point Gel Cream (Versed)
Finding a moisturizer for oily skin can be tricky because most of them are formulated for oily sensitive skin. However, the Dew Point Gel Cream is great if you have oily skin that is not sensitive.
This moisturizer is a dupe for the iUnik Centella Calming Gel Cream. All the Centella Calming gel Cream is sold at a drugstore price of just $11, it’s only available in Korea and only ships to limited locations.
The Dew Point Gel Cream doesn’t have the same ingredient list as the iUnik moisturizer but it’s also really good and lightweight.
- Glycerin which is awesome for hydration.
- Squalene is usually a heavy moisturizing ingredient but it’s lightweight with this product.
- Green tea extract is used to calm irritations, and diminish signs of aging.
- Aloe vera juice used for hydration as well as for fighting acne.
- Jojoba oil has great anti-inflammatory properties
This moisturizer is also fragrance-free. It’s super lightweight and soaks into the skin easily.
7. Oil-Free Combination Moisturizer (Neutrogena)
If you’re looking for a good moisturizer that will help with oil control, the Neutrogena oil-free moisturizer is a good option. Most Neutrogena products have fragrance in the formulation but this product is fragrance-free.
- Cyclomethicone is the primary ingredient that provides a drier finish. Cyclomethicone is similar to dimethicone. Both are useful in preventing any trans epidermal water loss which is the process by which we lose water through our skin which can cause dryness, irritation, and sensitivity. Although dimethicone is good it sometimes leaves behind a greasy thick layer on the skin. Cyclomethicone is a good alternative that makes sure you’re less oily and greasy and gives a drier finish while still providing those good benefits.
As a note when you apply this moisturizer, it doesn’t feel great immediately. It feels like it’s suffocating your skin. However, after about an hour you will notice that it has done its job and reduced oiliness throughout the day.
Continued use of the moisturizer will reduce oiliness, excess sebum, and shininess throughout the day. Your skin will also feel hydrated and protected throughout the day. The ingredient list for the moisturizer isn’t flash or fancy, but they will get the job done properly.
Those are some of the best drugstore moisturizers for oily dry and combination skin. Checking the ingredient lists of the products before you make a purchase is the most helpful tip, I can give you.
I know there could be other moisturizers out there that I am not aware of or tried because there are so many brands. If you know and have tried any other please let me know in the comments below. Also, follow me on Pinterest for more useful posts on skincare and makeup.